Five Communication Tools Your Millennial Employees Need
The Millennials-young people aged 21-34-are ranked as the largest generation in history and, by 2025, 75 percent of the global workforce will be comprised of Millennials. These 80 million men and women are digitally fluent and have the potential to reshape the business landscape.
Millennials are extremely mobile and prefer to conduct business on their smartphones and tablets across a number of different channels. They are extremely team-oriented and enjoy collaborating and building friendships with colleagues. Therefore it is very important that you utilize business software and tools to take advantage of these factors. One such is project management office software to allow for streamlined task tracking and collaboration between your Millenial teams and the project they are working on.
Communication tools are another vital aspect your business should take advantage of in order to help your Millenials succeed in the workplace. Social media is a hot spot for communicating and research but can be distracting sometimes. To help Millennials be as successful and productive as possible while working, employers need to understand how they communicate and provide the right solutions.
Here is a shortlist of five UC functions Millennials need:
- Videoconferencing. Having multimedia tools that include video available in the VoIP phone environment is critical. Employees need to collaborate instantly and turn a simple phone call into a group discussion. Millennials at work expect to use the latest collaboration tools, such as video conferencing with room-based systems, peer-to-peer video and web conferencing.
- BYOD. Millennials already own their favorite smartphone and tablet, so make sure you can integrate their devices with your existing office phone system-securely, simply and cost effectively. Doing so will help Millennials stay connected from any location around the world on any network: voice over Wi-Fi, voice over 3G/4G or cellular.
- Instant messaging. Millennials have no time or patience to wait for responses or a call back. Rather, they expect instant gratification and answers. Providing instant messaging and chat tools between employees needs to be an important cornerstone of your business phone system.
- CRM. Your entire staff needs instant access to CRM tools and directories, and Millennials (even though they are young) know the value of having phone data aligned with business data in a CRM system. Of course, just because they use a CRM system doesn’t mean they will get the best results from it. A lot of the time, a business will need data engineering services in order to improve the way they use the data they collect. When this happens, they will be able to use the CRM in a more efficient way.
- Visual voicemail. Millennials are multitasking pros and can juggle many responsibilities and communication channels at once. Millennials are accustomed to having easy-to-use visual voicemail like their mobile devices provide. Ideally, their voicemail is integrated with their Microsoft Outlook inbox, giving them the ability to send and retrieve voicemail messages from email and also sync meetings with their Outlook calendar.
Make sure your Millennials have the UC functions they need to get your job done. Your aging phone system may need a makeover to keep up with the digital generation workforce. Learn how ShoreTel’s onsite and cloud UC gives all of your employees modern communications tools built for today’s highly collaborative world that is being transformed by Millenials.